Monday, June 9, 2008

You Know We Loved It! Sex and the City: The Movie

It is no question that Sex and the City has become a cultural phenomenon for American women of all backgrounds and ages. The show ran its course during my mother’s tirade to ban everything she deemed “inappropriate” (which was somewhat justified after discovering my older brother’s affinity for late night, cable softcore…) so I never could get my SATC fix without being greeted by Comcast’s handy-dandy parental code block. College, however; was a whole new ballgame in terms of living on my own terms, so it wasn’t long before SATC, pizza for breakfast, and school-night sleepovers quickly crept their way to the top of my priority list. What started as late night hunting for random episodes to watch on Youtube, ended up as full out “Sex and the City Nights” complete with full seasons of SATC on DVD via the local Blockbuster, my closest friends via their respective dormitories, and our own crummy relationship stories to talk about all night via the Howard University dating scene. Needless to say, it didn’t take long before I was caught up on the comedic melodrama that is Carrie Bradshaw, and subsequently took a trip to NYC this past weekend to watch 6 years of HBO genius culminate before me on the big screen.

Sex and the City: The Movie was amazing*.

As Slate.com critic put it best, I had to see the movie “to know how the girls are doing, what's happened to them in the four years since I last joined them at brunch and what in the name of God they're wearing.” I found out all of that and more as “Big” drama ensued, but I’ll refrain from speaking on all of that as not to spoil the contents for anyone who has yet to see the silver screen’s biggest (female) orgasm. Instead, I’ll gush over the only other aspect of the show that placed the brand into epic female notoriety…the clothes!


With the haggard looks of Miranda a thing of the past, Samantha actually implementing the notion of tastefulness, Charlotte stepping out of the “stepford wife” look, and Carrie skyrocketing her Monolo Blanik savvy into the stratosphere…visually a buffet, the movie was a fashion addict’s cardiac arrest and arrival at heaven.

*UPDATE: I really didn't wish to comment on the plot of the movie, because (1) I was more preoccupied with the fashion and (2) I had complicated feelings about the actual message the movie sent out, even thought I ADORED the movie for what it was. Luckily, the folks over at the blog By The Way Betch... summarized how I felt about the movie to a tee. Check it out...



I really love this look. Always whimsical, Carrie takes an upscale approcah to casual chic with a leather, transitional colored brown, envelope clutch. Do you know how long it took me to find a vintage envelope clutch! Uh, I almost died when I saw this on screen...to be Carrie Bradshaw...



This is an amazing dress! This was actually Charlotte's bridesmaid dress, but I'd wear it to any formal event that'd have me...ooh, with red lipstick and a cobalt blue clutch...heaven!



Carrie and these shoes! I can't get enough! I love love love the gladiator heel trend sweeping the fashion scene right now, they make the bridges of your feet look amazing. For true working girls, I saw some similar one's at Nine West, but I still lust after the notion of being able to afford a designer pair one day...

From Sex and The C...


One of my favorite looks for the movie, Carrie pays homage to her signature flower fetish with this gorgeous and cutting edge white dress with my favorite shoes as described above. These scene is particularly cute because it shows the "new breed" of the female foresome in their versions of the "Carrie" outfit, passing the original Carrie on the street, only to fawn over her dress. I love it!

No comments: